Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Humble beginnings with Facebook Flyers Pro

As I mentioned in my post below (Cashing In With Facebook Flyers), as soon as I saw Facebook Flyers Pro, I really wanted to try something with it. I didn't have enough time to follow up on the initial thought, but today I decided to sit down and try a couple of little experiments, just to see if the well had really dried up already - or was it still possible to make a little money through this monolithic site.

For those who haven't had a chance to investigate it yet, Facebook Flyers come in two flavours:

Facebook Flyers Basic - uses a CPM model, i.e. you pay for a certain number of impressions for your flyer. Prices start from $5 for 2,500 impressions and goes up to $200 for 100,000 impressions.

Facebook Flyers Pro - a CPC model, i.e. you pay a certain amount per click on your flyer. The minimum bid is $0.01 and the minimum daily budget is $1.00. The system is not as complex as Google Adwords, but I guess it will develop over time as popularity grows and the advertiser management options improve.

I didn't even bother with the basic version, mainly because I didn't have any existing campaigns with a proven click through rate that I wanted to run on Facebook - and I'm glad I didn't.

So far I've set up 4 pro flyers that are based on pay per lead offers from Commission Junction. Two of the flyers are a split test of the same offer but with different targetting, the other two are separate offers with rather loose targetting.

I was really surprised to see the impressions counting up within 5 minutes of creating a flyer. My first flyer had almost 10,000 impressions within the first 1.5 hours and the others are showing healthy numbers of impressions. This is the reason why I'm glad I didn't go for the CPM version. The click through rates have been really low, so for example the flyer with 10,000+ impressions would have already cost me $20+ and so far it has resulted in a single lead!

It's still early days, the impressions seem to have stabilised from the initial rush and are still going up, but not as fast. I'm looking forward to seeing how the results look at the end of the day. If things look good, I might boost the cost per click a bit and see what happens.

Who else is trying out some Facebook Flyers Pro campaigns? I'd be interested to hear your results so far.

No comments: